To Followers and New Guests...

To Followers and New Guests...

Monday, January 4, 2010

Epiphany

There are many notions about when Christmas is celebrated, and for how long. To learn more, click here. These differ within the United States, and throughout the world.
As my daughter boxed up her Nativity set for the year and proceeded to put it away, I offered a question. “So what are the 3 Kings gonna do when they get here?” I was being facetious, and she knew it, so her answer was equally tongue-in-cheek. Then she seemed to think an excuse was needed and pointed out how little time there was to keep on top of things, etc.
She did not really need to justify her actions. Her family has more irons in the fire than a 19th century blacksmith. And just because the Crèche is packed away doesn’t mean she has no room in her heart for 3 visiting wise men.
My job, as I understand it, is to gently remind the world of the traditions and symbols we share, no matter how different we seem to be. That is whether those differences occur in our history, cultures, religious persuasions or geography.
For those of you playing along at home today is either the 10th, or the 11th Day of Christmas. For those of you on the 10th (like myself) this is the day to ponder the 10 commandments. For those on the 11th, it is time to contemplate the 11 disciples that remained faithful to Jesus (personally, I think God forgave Judas anyway). I added some more Christmas Carols from Amazon’s Mp3 downloads just to maintain the atmosphere either way.
There is not going to be a test later; nor am I trying to round up converts to any of these views. I’m simply extending the celebration of a Baby in a manger in my little corner of the world.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails