To Followers and New Guests...

To Followers and New Guests...

Saturday, July 3, 2010

With Voices Raised...


"If particular attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to instigate a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no representation or voice (Abigail Adams, 1776)

"Look at me. Look at my arm. I have plowed, I have planted, and I have gathered into barns. And no man could head me. And ain't I a woman?" (Sojourner Truth, 1851)

“I have never had a vote, and I have raised hell all over this country! You don't need a vote to raise hell! You need convictions and a voice" (Mother Jones, 1914)

" I wish to introduce today a proposal that has been before Congress for the last forty years and that sooner or later must become part of the basic law of this land-- The Equal Rights Amendment" ( Shirley Chisolm, 1969)

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing the ground" (Frederick Douglass, 1857)

“I am here to demand my rights and to hurl thunderbolts at the man who would dare to cross the threshold of my manhood" (Bishop Henry McNeal Turner, 1868)

" We declare our right on this earth to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the right of a human being in this society, on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any means necessary" (Malcolm X, 1964)

“We are on the move now. Yes, we are on the move and no wave of racism can stop us" ( Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, 1965)

"If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most common basic link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. (President John F. Kennedy, 1963)

The preceding quotes were used in the composition of
"With Voices Raised"
a new piece for orchestra, mixed chorus, and speakers, with music by Stephen Flaherty and text by Lynn Ahrens. It is found on the album:"A Splash of Pops", released on June 29, 1999.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails