To Followers and New Guests...

To Followers and New Guests...

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hello Kitty Maneki Neko

I learned a white cat being a Japanese symbol for luck on Animal Planet. It was Cats 101, if memory serves me. Shops often display a cat figure, with one paw raised, to beckon or welcome customers. The name for this custom is Maneki Neko.

I don’t know if Hello Kitty is a modern version of this old tradition, but I couldn’t resist the one that I found.



I have a lifetime love of cats and have had several wonderful feline companions. A cat frequently makes an appearance in my paintings.

















I have nothing against dogs; cats just made it my heart faster.



For more detailed info on this custom, its history and legends, click here or here .

For more on the Japanese bobtail Cat, click here

1 comment:

christina said...

i never knew that. BUT i do have some hello kitty stuff, that I now look at in a new light.
: )
i love that you mentioned your paintings.
: )

Related Posts with Thumbnails